Fundraisers – 10 tips for advancing your career
Posted: April 14, 2014
I was asked to facilitate a roundtable discussion last Friday at Fundraising Day in Southern New England. Thought I’d pass along the tips I gathered and shared.
1. Know yourself
- What are your passions?
- What are you really good at?
- What makes you happy?
- What are you fears/demons?
2. Be really good at your job
- Embrace results
- Embrace metrics
- Learn about your cause
- Engage in your whole organization
3. Learn all you can about your profession
- Workshops, conference, webinars, college classes
- Professional journals e.g. Chronicle of Philanthropy, Nonprofit Quarterly
- Know the research
4. Create your personal strategic plan
- Personal and professional vision and goals
- Strategies and benchmarks
5. Develop your own support network
- Find a mentor or coach
- Develop your own kitchen cabinet
6. Earn professional credentials
- CFRE and ACFRE
- Graduate Degree e.g. MBA, MPA, MS, PhD
7. Be engaged in the world
- Read/listen to the news
- Learn about other topics
- Volunteer & stay healthy
8. Gain management and leadership skills
- Ask for more responsibility
- School yourself
9. Engage with colleagues
- Join & participate in your professional association, e.g. AFP, PPP, AHP
- Network, network, network
- Be a helpful friends
10. Raise your profile
- Become a trainer, presenter
- Write – a book, a blog, tweet
Two books to think about careers and your future:
The Answer to How is Yes, by Peter Block. Especially the chapter on Bosses.
Career Anchors, Edgar Schein.